Tuesday, May 8, 2012

First Days on the Job


My name is Brooke Frazier and I am interning this summer, 2012, with the Bowers Museum of Cultural Arts in Santa Ana, California.  I am a History and International Studies major at Loyola University Chicago.  I will be commencing my senior year this coming fall.  I was born and raised in Orange County, which is why I am familiar with and natural selected the Bowers Museum to apply for an internship.  I am actually a returning intern to the Public Relations department of the Bowers from last summer, 2011.  I will be working under my old boss, Nancy Johnson, Director of Communications and Branding. 

The Bowers has been serving the Orange County community, as a non-profit, since 1936.  The museum was founded by Charles and Ada Bowers.  The Bowers closed  in 1986 for a period of self-study, but reopened in 1992, due to community request.  The Bowers mission is to enrich the lives of its community through the world’s finest arts and cultures, which it achieves through offering lectures, exhibits, art classes, and travel programs.  

Week one at my internship commenced with a meeting at 9:30am, Tuesday May 8th, to discuss with Nancy my hours and projects I will be heading up this summer.  Hist 398 only requires a 75 hour minimum for the semester credit, but I arranged to work Tuesday and Wednesday’s for 5 hours each, for 15 weeks.  This will give me 150 hours for the semester.  Since I am a “veteran” to the job, as Nancy puts it, she has me jumping back into the radio station gig.  She essentially wants me to be the liaison between the museum and the radio station’s whose audiences are compatible with the museums.  This will be easy for me, given I made a lot of these relationship pretty solid last summer.  Working as Nancy’s right hand, she will also have me doing multiple other projects and tasks that will come about on a moments notice.  We will see.  It is always an exciting time and the weeks fly by! 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great internship. I'm looking forward to learning more about how you plan on bringing history to the airwaves!

    ReplyDelete