Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Daily Grind


This week, when I got into the office around 9:30am, Tuesday May 29th, my boss had an overwhelming look of excitement.  Unfortunately, she knows me all too well, and what I am proficient at, which is not necessarily what I always enjoy doing. 

I am a person who finds contentment in organizing just about anything and everything.  So when Nancy announced my next project, she knew I would be happy to take on the hours and weeks of tedious work that would be demanded.  As I mentioned earlier with the radio stations’ contact lists, the museum, throughout its entire database, has roughly eight contact lists.  Some short, some long, some with different contact information for the same correspondent at a particular station, some with information that had not been edited since 2005.  This all just for the radio station category.  As many marketing departments in arguably all organizations or firms, our category of contact lists are numbers, from different cultures, to religions, to airline magazines and online at forums, to yacht clubs and the Red Hatters. 

So what my boss was so eager about, she wanted me to swipe the entire database for all of the contact lists, compile, edit, and update.  I began the project with first locating all the lists, in their various locations, most of which were in some very obscure places that made no logical sense.  I brought the total of ninety-eight lists into one folder.  I next formatted them into the same font, size, color-coding, and spacing.  This makes it easier on the eyes and less straining to have to de-code.  Not having to scour lists to find out what is necessary, expedites the process.  Then I collected every list of a related category, for example airline in-flight magazines, and put them into one excel sheet with the different tabs.  I did this for every different category, which was taxing for sure, but in the long run, make the system run much more smooth.  This is what constituted my activities for Week 4 on the job.  A tedious task, but a great experience of what the daily grind looks like to oil the system that Bowers operates on.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment