Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Flashback


My internship for week 6, June 12th and 13th, was occupied with the same extensive, tedious, administrative project I have been handed of locating, editing, and updating all the contact lists of the entire Bowers database.  Unfortunately, I am not sure what to discuss this week, with already having explained the entire process of how I go about this project, step by step.  So instead, this week I would like to describe the environment I work in, contrasted to my environment last summer.

            I sit in the Communications and Branding department, which is different, was last summer, when I interned at the museum. Last summer, my desk was in the Marketing department, which is a descent size room, holding four cubicles and a five-person conference table.   The two other interns for the marketing department in the 2011 summer session were hired on about two weeks after myself.  The three of us (Megan, Gentry, and myself) had an exciting summer, full of loud laughs.  Our boss, Nancy Johnson, would have to come around the corner at least once a day to hush our laughs.  But even though we were a bit hyper for a museum, the three of us had a great, creative mix flowing.  We wrote multiple press releases that stunned our boss. 

The desk I occupy this summer is about ten feet from my boss, Nancy Johnson, but not within eyesight.  She repeatedly forgets I am even there and finds it stunning how quiet and attentive I am this summer.  It is a much quieter room, with the walls stacked with binders, each one containing all the information to catalogue every exhibit the museum has opened.  This of course serves a pertinent purpose.  If, for some tragic reason, the museums’ hard drives get destroyed, than at least there is a hard copy.  That way, if the museum gets an exhibit to return, we do not have to start from scratch in composing a successful exhibit.  We have the entire life of the exhibit already catalogue for reference.  Very smart, in my opinion, but then again, I naturally organize everything.  

No comments:

Post a Comment